Vision of the Department
The Department of Civil Engineering will be a center of excellence in industry-oriented teaching, training, research, professional ethics, social responsibility, and continuing education for practicing engineers through sponsored research and consultancy services
The vision of the department is in consonance with the institutional vision in terms of becoming the center of excellence, promoting research, social responsibility and ethical values.
Mission of the Department:
To improvise the curriculum to include contents pertaining to the situational experience of a variety of sites and develop a sense of social responsibility and to enhance the research orientation of students through internship programs.
To enhance sponsored research and consultancy works to achieve effective industry-institute-interaction and conduct a Continuing Education Programme for practicing engineers.
To inculcate professional ethics through quality and modern construction practices.
To switch over to modern methods of material testing, engineering analysis, and design.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (Pos)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct Investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
(Source - Lead Society: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) - Program Specific Criteria)
PSO 1: The Gradates will demonstrate the ability to design a civil engineering system, component or the process to meet desired project needs.
PSO 2: Graduates will be familiar with modern civil engineering professional software tools and demonstrate their ability in applying them for the solution of design situations.